Map & Directions to Villa Stresov :: Borovets
Map of route for drive from Sofia Airport to Villa Stresov
Reaching Bulgaria from abroad is very easy
By Car: Arrival in Bulgaria by car is possible at any of its numerous border points. National driving licenses are valid for use in Bulgaria. Insurance for Bulgaria is required, arranged at home or purchased at the border. Major roads from the border to Sofia are marked with signs in both cyrillic and Roman letters.
By Train: Bulgaria is on the main intercontinental train routes, and there are international train services from most European capitals, including Athens, Budapest, and Vienna.
By Air: Bulgaria and Sofia are part of the international flight network, and there are direct flights to Sofia from most capitals of Europe.
Additional Information: Refer to our Travel Information & Resources page for detailed information about travel in Bulgaria.
Arriving in Sofia
The drive from the Sofia airport to Borovets (73 kms) takes about 90 minutes. You will find a car very useful in Borovets and the surrounding area. We suggest you pick up a rental car from one of the major rental firms at the airport. As the number of rental cars available at the airport is limited, you should make reservations well in advance of arrival. For safe and worry-free winter driving on snowy and icy roads in and around Borovets, we strongly recommend that the car have 4-wheel drive or be equipped with snow tires or chains. Alternatively, we can arrange for you to be met at the Sofia airport by a uniformed chauffeur and driven in a deluxe air-conditioned limousine to the Villa.
Rental car, limousine, and hotel charges in Sofia are not included in the rental rates for the Villa Stresov.
If you decide to spend the night in Sofia after your arrival and before driving to Borovets, you will have the opportunity to see a bit of the capital, such as the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral with its golden domes, or the imposing National Theater. The next morning, do some shopping there, and arrange your drive to Borovets so you arrive at the Villa Stresov for check-in after 3 p.m.
Driving from Sofia to Borovets and the Villa Stresov
The distance from Sofia to Borovets (also spelled Borovec, Borowez) is approximately 73 kms (1.5 hours' driving time).
The driving map to Villa Stresov, and the directions below should assist you in driving to Borovets and in finding the Villa Stresov:
- Take the Expressway E80 (Tsarigradsko Shosse) towards Plovdiv.
- Exit at the sign for Borovets, which is a few kilometers after the turn-off for the Sofia airport,
- take Highway 82 to Samokov, passing first through Gorubljane on the outskirts of Sofia and afterwards Pancharevo.
- In Samokov, turn left at the sign marked Ihktiman-Kostenets-Plovdiv.
- Cross a short bridge and immediately turn right.
- Continue straight on for 11 kms. to Borovets.
- On arrival in Borovets, bear right, and
- then left at an intersection where you will see a sign marked "Villa Stresov". Pass several shops on the right and left.
- After approximately 1 km you will see the Villa to the right at the top of a hill faced with a stone retaining wall.
- Turn right and drive 20 meters uphill to reach the front gate of the Villa.
The caretakers at the Villa Stresov will be expecting you and will welcome you when you arrive. Depending on weather conditions, you may park your car(s) in the driveway or parking area while unloading baggage. Or you may park in one of the two garages indicated by the caretakers.